Hypnosis is an altered state of consciousness characterized by heightened susceptibility to suggestion. To conduct self-hypnosis, you should have the basic foundations of hypnosis, its uses and techniques for induction. Otherwise, you will easily fail in your efforts and feel frustrated that it did not go as you have planned. Here are a few important tips to use while practicing self hypnosis:
1. Conduct self hypnosis exercises consistently at the same time each day for an average of 20 minutes per session.
2. For starters, it is recommended to only practice when you are in a relaxed condition to aid in mind focusing. A warm bath can be taken beforehand.
3. Do not force your mind when it is feeling fatigued or sleepy after a stressful day. If you are very tired and have trouble concentrating, just take that time out and get back to doing self hypnosis another time, when you are ready.
4. Formulate suggestions properly. Give yourself specific commands, and phrase your hypnotic suggestions carefully. The subconscious mind needs the right cues to effectively change your behaviours.
5. Be prepared. Before the start of each session, know what suggestions you are going to use and goals you want to achieve. Your conscious mind needs to be in a relaxed state, not needing to think too much while in the session.
6. Find a quiet spot to practice. It’s best to minimise distractions while you are in the process of learning self hypnosis. Turn off your phone and if anyone is in the area, ask them not to disturb you.
7. Find a position where your body will be comfortable and you will find it a lot easier to enter the hypnotic state. If you have a recliner, that would be perfect. Then again, do not be too comfortable that you fall asleep. A good position is to be sitting in a chair with your spine straight and your feet firmly planted on the floor.
8. Be patient and consistent. A lack of experience coupled with impatience most probably will lead to failure in this technique. Do not worry, this is normal in the beginning. However, you should tell yourself not to quit and be patient, when dealing with your most potent and difficult-to-reach issues.
9. Make recordings that guides you into hypnosis before you begin to apply suggestions. It should last about 3 minutes in whole, which includes repeated positive suggestions that you will be working with.
10. Practice putting yourself into a relaxed state as often as possible throughout the day. This will help in getting you into hypnosis more effortlessly at the end of the day.
The more you practice self-hypnosis, the better you’ll get, and soon you will be able to hypnotise yourself anytime and anywhere.